Sunday, March 16, 2008

New Seven Deadly Sins Named by Vatican

RECYCLE OR GO TO HELL, WARNS VATICAN

Failing to recycle plastic bags could find you spending eternity in Hell, the Vatican said after drawing up a list of seven deadly sins for our times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/03/10/eavatican110.xml
See also http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3517050.ece
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7287071.stm

The seven deadly sins have been retooled by the Catholic Church to bring them up to date. They now include polluting the environment, taking drugs, and becoming obscenely wealthy. As mortal sins, these are serious and, if committed, will send you straight to hell.

I remember when I used to go to that church in the "old days" that eating meat on Friday would also land you in hell. And woe unto you if you were not baptized. Off to Limbo you must go, a place where you will never see God. That's a place where all unbaptized babies go, too. They haven't had a chance to "sin" but, oh well, it was their bad luck to die before water could be poured on their heads by a priest--and now they can never see God. I've often wondered how many folks are burning in the hell fires who ate meat on Friday when it was a sin. They must have been envious when they found out that those who died after the church declared it was no longer a sin to eat meat on Friday are now enjoying heavenly bliss. Apparently, timing is everything.

These are just more examples of the foolishness of religious doctrine that is devised to control the followers. I was brought up as a Catholic but began to question--there were so many things like Limbo that didn't really make sense. Actually, I read recently that the Pope decided it didn't make sense, either--and the Limbo doctrine is now out the window. Makes you wonder what happened to all those folks and babies in Limbo. Were the gates of Heaven, previously forever closed to them, now automatically opened to admit them? Or were they never in a place called Limbo--and the Pope was wrong on that one right from the beginning? If so, then what does that mean about the Pope's infallibility? Oops. You can see how troublesome this can all be to the church when somebody starts to question.

As my questions mounted during my Catholic days and I voiced them in a letter to the editor of our diocese's Catholic newspaper, I was publicly warned by a priest (who proclaimed he was proud he had remained "orthodox") that I was on dangerous ground. He made it very clear that questioning is not allowed. In religion (whether big or small cults) the rules must be followed so the "sinners" can be kept in line and the donations can keep flowing. So eventually, I left it all behind and now live by my own inner compass. It feels much better this way. (~.~)

Of course, this does not mean everyone should agree with my conclusion/decision. I realize that churches provide communities and support for their members, and many people receive sustenance in this way. I can only speak for myself. I may be wrong--and headed for hell in a handbasket. Actually, with Bush in charge these last eight years, he has made sure we are all in that handbasket together. ;-)

Just some musings on a sunny day... (~.~)
Share:

0 comments: