Saturday, February 06, 2016

Why does Ted Cruz's face make people feel uneasy?

This neurologist is on to something...From day one, I have thought Cruz looks a lot like the infamous Senator Joe McCarthy.  He has the same odious look and makes me want to avoid him. Others feel the same way about him.  He is detested by most Congressional members and it was the same in his school days. (His college roommate says people have asked him why he didn't smother Cruz in his sleep when he had the chance!) This article in Psychology Today gives some clues as to why people are turned off by Cruz. I've included the first 2 paragraphs of the article below.  To read the rest of the article, click on this link:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-fallible-mind/201601/why-ted-cruz-s-facial-expression-makes-me-uneasy

EXCERPT:

It's hard to look at Ted Cruz's face. He's a brilliant orator with a sharp legal mind. But his expression unsettles me. I know my reaction is visceral and automatic, but as a neurologist it is my business to notice things out of the ordinary and probe them. The Senator's atypical expressions leave me uneasy.

Before I say why, note how many colleagues and former associates "loathe" him. A Bush alumnus told the New York Times' Frank Bruni, "Why do people take such an instant dislike to Ted Cruz? It just saves time." Former Senate Majority leader Bob Dole says, "Nobody likes him," while Rep. Peter King sees "malice." According to The Washington Post, screenwriter Craig Mazin, Cruz's former Princeton roommate, has called him a "huge asshole," and "creepy." He's Tweeted, "Getting emails blaming me for not smothering Ted Cruz in his sleep in 1988." The distaste for Cruz even extends beyond the US: Germans say Backpfeifengesicht, meaning a face in need of a good punch.

Share:

0 comments: