Friday, July 20, 2012

Romney cries the blues and puts his foot in his mouth...again

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/william-rivers-pitt/44435/mitts-kampaign-klown-kar

MITT'S CAMPAIGN CLOWN CAR
By William Rivers Pitt

 EXCERPT: 
Kerry actually released 20 years of returns when he challenged President George W. Bush in 2004.

"John Kerry ran for president," Mitt Romney said Monday morning on 'Fox & Friends.' "You know, his wife, who has hundreds of millions of dollars, she never released her tax returns. Somehow, this wasn't an issue."

So...let me get this straight: John Kerry's wife, who never ran for president, didn't release her tax returns, which is relevant to Mitt Romney's offshore accounts and tenure with Bain Capital because...wha?

Even if you leave all that aside, Vanity Fair's expose on Romney's vast offshore financial holdings revealed that a sizeable chunk of his fortune is in his wife's name, safely sequestered in several accounts spread across the globe. Ergo, by asking for - or even questioning - tax returns from the wife of a failed presidential candidate from eight years ago, doesn't that make the tax returns from the wife of the current GOP candidate for president fair game?

Hm.

As far as the release of more Romney tax records go? From the same article:

"The Obama people keep on wanting more and more and more," Romney said Monday, noting that he had already released more than is required by law. "More things to pick through, more things for their opposition research to try to make a mountain out of, and to distort, and to be dishonest about."

I live in Massachusetts, and endured Romney's failed run for Ted Kennedy's seat in 1994. I witnessed his successful 2002 bid to be governor of Massachusetts. I enjoyed his 2008 presidential campaign, and have been keeping an eagle-eye on this current effort...and have learned one basic, immutable truth: the less time Mitt spends in front of cameras, the better his campaign fares. Period, end of file.

When run through the Universal Republican Bullshit Translation Device I built in my basement, that plaintive cry becomes, "McCain vetted me for the VP slot in 2008, saw my financials, and went with Palin instead...my tax records would be lethal to my campaign, and I am terrified of releasing them...Obama is being mean to me...O God, I hope my ill-advised blurt about Teresa Heinz Kerry's tax returns doesn't inspire anyone to ask about my wife Ann's returns...c'mon, America, I'm the white guy in the race, this was supposed to be easier..."

Share:

0 comments: