Monday, September 14, 2009

A 2-minute video that is intriguing, to say the least

I was browsing through the Internet and came upon this wonderful brief (2-3 minute) video of a documentary that is in the making, called The Holy Rascals. You'll have to see it for yourself to appreciate it: a Jewish Rabbi, a former Catholic (Dominican) priest, a gentle little Indian man, a Native American/Catholic woman -- all expressing the same view, beyond religion.  The Dominican priest was exited out of the Catholic church by the man who is now Pope--then Cardinal Ratzinger. Cardinal Ratzinger accused the priest of being a "Feminist theologian," which the Cardinal (now Pope) considers a heresy. The priest's offense?  He referred to God not only as a Father but as a Mother and as a Child, and talked about Original Blessing instead of Original Sin.  The parts shown in this preview are very beautiful, with heartfelt comments by the "holy rascals"!  I will definitely want to see the documentary when it comes out!  Here's the link for the video preview: http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/spirit/content/holy-rascals-movie-trailer

My own thoughts about the brief remarks made by each of the people in the video is that they are closer to the truth about life than all the religious dogmas and creeds and rules and laws that man has managed to place over the clear, simple understanding Jesus and other teachers were trying to bring to the people of Earth.  I particularly liked what the Indian man says in the last part of the trailer: "In the process you find out not what you are but what you are not." That may at first sound puzzling, but I hear it as a process of elimination as you go through all the identifications you have given yourself in life--none of which you may be able to take with you when you die.  They may be just roles we play in our identification as a man, a woman, a son, a daughter, a mother, a father, a welder, a teacher, etc., etc.  When you look deeply into your eyes in the mirror, do you ever wonder just who you really are?  I used to do this when I was just a little girl, around age 9 or 10 -- trying to perceive someone...something...deeper than just the face and body of the little girl I saw reflected back in the mirror.  I knew somehow there was a mystery to my existence that I wanted to understand.  And as my body grew older and changed from young girl to teenager to adult to middle age, and now to old age, I am more certain than ever that I am definitely not that body, in which the cells are constantly changing, creating an entirely different body every 7 years--yet I always feel like the same one.  So who is that "same one" that feels exactly the same inside, no matter how much the outside changes? Who survives the transition we call "death"?  For anyone who may be asking that question, as I have been throughout my life, I think this documentary will provide some interesting perspectives to help answer it.

More perspectives on the same question can be found in other internet sites -- one of which I have found particularly helpful: www.thenaturalstate.org


Share:

0 comments: